Brain Behavior Clinic and Boulder County Ten Year Plan to Address Homelessness
The Brain Behavior Clinic (BBC) in the Department of Psychology & Neuroscience at CU Boulder has been partnering with the Boulder County Shelter for the Homeless since 2012 in identifying and documenting cognitively disabled persons as part of the County’s 10-Year Plan to Address Homelessness.
One of the specific goals of the Boulder County 10-year Plan is to identify and provide effective outreach to chronically homeless individuals and connect them with needed services and viable and permanent housing solutions. With support from an Outreach Award, the BBC has been able to provide, at no cost, neuropsychological evaluations of clients in the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless who may have acquired or developmentally based cognitive deficits. These evaluations are used to support applications for disability benefits and medical coverage for those individuals who qualify. Over the past several years, the program has been expanded in offering these assessments to individuals referred by other agencies that serve clients who are at risk for homelessness or who have little to no income.
The BBC is part of the Clinical Psychology graduate training program in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience at CU Boulder.
Its mission has two purposes:
- To provide training experience in neuropsychological diagnostic assessments for clinical graduate students who are simultaneously receiving neuroscience coursework and research training.
- To respond to university and the broader community needs for affordable cognitive assessment services for adolescents and adults. The BBC provides assessments for adolescents and adults referred for acquired injury or disease (e.g., traumatic brain injury, dementia, M.S.), ADHD, and learning disabilities.
The BBC assessments have resulted in beneficial outcomes to clients, including identification of disorders or disabilities, successful procurement of disability benefits, access to community resources, and qualification for academic or job-related accommodations.
Brain Behavior Clinic at CU, Muenzinger D232, 1905 Colorado Avenue, Boulder, CO 80309
BBC Intake line: 303-492-5679
Brain Behavior Clinic
Muenzinger Psychology and Neuroscience
Public or Private
Public Program (open to the public)
College of Arts & Sciences
- Department of Psychology & Neuroscience
- Boulder Shelter for the Homeless
- People's Clinic / Clinica Family Health
- Mental Health Partners
- Association for Community Living (ACL)
- At-Risk Youth
- General Public
- Socio-Economic Disadvantaged
- Special Needs Individuals